[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to > always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 08:10:12 UTC 2019

On Thursday, August 1, 2019, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> It is probably true that for a particular train, at a particular time,
> will normally use the same platform you cannot assume that all trains
> to a particular destination will always use the same platform.
>
> [...]
>
> As a regular rail user I am very aware that you cannot assume which
> platform and you always need to check the displays, or maybe use an
> app. An app is useful to find out which platform you are going into if
> you need a quick escape so can be standing by the door on the correct
> side.

It seems that it depends on the country. Here in Switzerland, a train of a
particular route always departs from the same platform, except if there are
rail works, a breakdown or similar, in which case there is an announcement
on the usual platform that the train exceptionally departs from another
platform. (For example, in Bern, IC 1 to Geneva always departs from
platform 5 and IR 15 to Lucerne always from platform 7.) Thus, i think it
makes sense to include the platforms in the route relation here.

Regards from the (almost) train paradise :)

Markus