[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 15:03:24 UTC 2019

On Friday, August 2, 2019, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> See "One Feature, One OSM Element" - separate feature tags should not
> be added to the same database object, if at all possible.
>
> [...]
>
> I also consider "bus, tram and train stations could all be tagged
> alike" as a disadvantage since it would lead to ambiguity, like how to
> deal with a station object tagged =station with bus stops, tram stops
> and a railway platforms. It's better if mappers are aware which main
> feature they are tagging, since that's what will have to be handled by
> database users.

There are combined bus/tram stops as well as bus/tram stations. What do you
consider to be the main feature of a combined bus/tram stop or station?

I'm fine with mapping a platform at a bus stop as a separate OSM element,
but i don't understand why (when using PTv1 tags) a train station only
needs a station and platform elements, while a bus or tram station
additionally needs highway=bus_stop or railway=tram_stop elements?

Markus