[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:53:02 UTC 2019

pet, 2. kol 2019. u 15:34 Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> napisao je:

> I still see these solutions:
>
> 1. To rename public_transport=platform into public_transport=stop (or
> public_transport=waiting_area) and to abandon
> public_transport=stop_position as well as the PTv1 tags. This would have
> the advantage that bus, tram and train stations could all be tagged alike,
> that tram and bus stops would only need one element even if there is a
> platform (because railway/highway=platform + public_transport=stop could be
> combined) and that public_transport=stop_area were only needed at stations.
> Besides, new transport modes could later be added easily.
>
> 2. Same as 1, but public_transport=platform is not renamed (only
> public_transport=stop_position and PTv1 tags are abandoned). Advantages:
> same as 1; disadvantage: the misnamed public_transport=platform remains.
>
> 3. To abandon PTv2 tags, but to stick to PTv2 routes and to map
> highway=bus_stop/railway=tram_stop beside the road/rails ("Stockholm
> scheme"). Disadvantages: the same that are the advantages of 1.

If we removed stop_positions, that makes creating public transport
relations much easier. Just add platforms in the correct order, and then
the route in the correct order. Even better, you don't even need the route.
For public transport routing to work, you just need platforms in the
correct order, and you are done! That would make those huge bus routes with
hundreds of members that go from Croatia to Germany obsolete, and you would
only need a route with several nodes.

Janko Mihelić