[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sat Aug 3 01:03:06 UTC 2019

W dniu 03.08.2019 o 02:28, Joseph Eisenberg pisze:
> Consider also how you would route someone from a amenity=cafe node in
> a building to a shop=* area in another building across the city, by
> car. You have to jump from the node to the nearest highway, follow the
> highways to the other side of the city, and then jump back to the
> other node. So any router than can handle automobile directions can
> also manage bus stops or tram stops or platforms at the side of the
> road, without needing anything other than highway or railway ways and
> platform or bus stop nodes.

I guess this is the example where this simple analogy fails:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/334559271

The route for personal journey might be undefined on the ends (drivers
just use their eyes there), public transport routing is more strict.

> I wasn't able to understand enough of the link about updating transit
> features in Warsaw to see how the stop_position nodes were useful. I
> understand that some transit agencies provide data about stop
> positions, and that's the original reason that the stop_position nodes
> were created. There's no problem with keeping them in your city if you
> like them, but probably we shouldn't tell new mappers that they are
> needed, for example in developing cities around the world that
> currently lack any bus stops.

Sorry for asking, but you probably know this documentation quite good -
do we really tell people that every element of a public transport stop
is needed just because it's documented somewhere?

> The complexity of the current system, as described on the main pages
> in the wiki, can discourage mapping anything (for example, I've been
> discouraged from trying to add any of the minibus routes in my part of
> Indonesia, since it seemed so complicated to make so many features and
> routes).

So maybe documentation should be just cleaned? And if I understand you
wrong, could you describe what was your problem there?

--
"Pojechałam truizmem, ale mogę, bo jestem trochę pierdołą" [P. Potocka]