[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 19:22:48 UTC 2019

Hi!

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 20:38, yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com> wrote:

> We need a new way of following the scheme. I think all the features are needed: stop positions, platforms and stop area. [...]

Could you please give me an example where stop positions are needed?
In my experience, mapping stop positions and stop areas is only very
time-consuming (without a benefit), but also makes maintaining the
routes harder. (Of course, stop areas are helpful at stations,
especially at subway stations, in order connect the entrances to the
station.)

> We should deprecate all kind of stuff for public transport who does not not have the public transport tag itself. Because a platform has no sense if is not for public_transport. No more highway=platform, railway=platform, seaway=platform, river=platform.

Apart from the fact that seaway=platform and river=platform don't
exist, highway=platform and/or railway=platform are needed, because
public_transport=platform doesn't mean a platform, but a waiting area.
And a waiting areas doesn't need to be a platform: some waiting areas
are just poles or signs beside the road [1], others are located on the
sidewalk [2]. Besides, there are platforms that aren't operated
(anymore) and therefore aren't waiting areas, that is
public_transport=platform's, anymore.

[1]: https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/WzQODhqrCxxBLTYj2YJ-8g
[2]: https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/9HJR2HmtsEPsPVDV682kZQ

Regards