[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 20:43:19 UTC 2019

It's supposed to be modeled after the british road system. If the class
exists only in the UK and you're a strictie, then you should not use it
outside the UK.

If you are a non-strictie then you can use the classification únclassified'
for comparable roads, i.e. a class of connecting road in the public grid,
above residential and below tertiary.

Residential is meant to give access to neighbourhoods and houses within a
residential area, as its primary function.

A road outside a residential area can have lots of houses along it's
length, but the primary function is connecting roads to roads, roads to
residential areas, or interconnecting residential areas. I think that is
"unclassified", even where there is no official classification.

So my hierarchy is: ...>tertiary>unclassified>residential>living_street

Woudn't mind calling it quaternary though. Would probably solve the issue.
Of course this will never happen. No consensus, too much work.

Vr gr Peter Elderson