[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Aug 5 05:10:23 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 07:55:16PM +0100, ael wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 04:23:03PM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > sent from a phone
> > > On 4. Aug 2019, at 15:37, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:
> > > A residential is also an unclassified road.
> >
> > IMHO it is not, as an unclassified road is part of the interconnection grid, while a residential road is not
>
> My reply was going to be much the same. Unclassified roads are generally
> for "through traffic". Residential raods are primarily for access to
> those buildings, and would not (normally) be used for travel to other
> destinations.

No statement in the Wiki backs up this claim. This is what i say.

No statement about through traffic. Residentials are for through
traffic aswell although their primary purpose may be access to the
residential area.

This is what our algorithmic brothers in routing/navigation do. Treating
unclassified and residential the same.

And we cant distinguish these 2 by hard facts. Its more or less "felt
traffic pattern" or "believe" or "experience" how you tag.

Flo