[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 06:32:28 UTC 2019

At the moment, 'unclassified' has so many different opinions that it means
nothing at all. Could we at least agree on the basics:

A. "unclassified" means you don't know the class;
or
B. "unclassified"  is a class in itself.

If A the UK needs an alternative for roads officially classified as
'unclassified'. I would go with 'quaternary' because it can be applied
anywhere.

If B a better differentiation is needed. I think defining it as "same as
<other class>" is not helpful. Current OSM-usage is not helpful, because it
just reflects the indecision and confusion. Maybe it's best to define
"unclassified" as UK-only, and add quaternary for the missing step between
tertiary and residential.

Why missing link? I don't know the whole world, but all european countries
I know have some sort of official classification of three levels to move
around the country, and a lot of other public roads, brushed together as a
rest category of "other roads". If we classify in the database, that's
'unclassified' or quaternary for me. Then residential roads/areas are
mostly entered through those.

As it stands, routing/navigating is not that bad, probably because I use
OSM mainly for cycling/walking.

Vr gr Peter Elderson