[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 14:05:08 UTC 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 13:31, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

I may have been misguided here, but to me any narrower pathway in a
> settlement would be suitable for the alley tag. Like those in the pictures
> here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley

I agree.  But they may not have names.  The one in my town are all dead
ends.  So not used
by pedestrians as short cuts from A to B, therefore no need to name them.
They might be
used by the residents, or those visiting the residents, and (of course) the
night soil man
and possibly other tradespeople, but not thoroughfares.

These are very typical for historic centres (often much older than late
> 19th century).

Again, I suspect their original purpose was for the night soil man and
tradespeople (even
60 years ago it was expected that tradespeople, charity collectors, etc.
would use the back
door of a house even if there were no back alley).  And I also suspect that
the ones with
names were short cuts of one sort or another.  Because "Night Soil Alley"
is not a name
anyone would want to have associated with their property, but a short cut
would get a
name, sooner or later.

--
Paul