[Tagging] Road hierarchy

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Aug 6 14:15:19 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 13:31, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I may have been misguided here, but to me any narrower pathway in a
> > settlement would be suitable for the alley tag. Like those in the pictures
> > here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley
> >

> I agree.  But they may not have names.  The one in my town are all dead
> ends.  So not used
> by pedestrians as short cuts from A to B, therefore no need to name them.
> They might be
> used by the residents, or those visiting the residents, and (of course) the
> night soil man
> and possibly other tradespeople, but not thoroughfares.
>
> These are very typical for historic centres (often much older than late
> > 19th century).
> >

> Again, I suspect their original purpose was for the night soil man and
> tradespeople (even
> 60 years ago it was expected that tradespeople, charity collectors, etc.
> would use the back
> door of a house even if there were no back alley).  And I also suspect that
> the ones with
> names were short cuts of one sort or another.  Because "Night Soil Alley"
> is not a name
> anyone would want to have associated with their property, but a short cut
> would get a
> name, sooner or later.

They have these where I used to visit my grandmother in South Wales, called Gullies locally (excuse spelling, have never seen it written)

As you say, people use them to access garages and back in the 70s and 80s a tipper lorry would come around every few weeks and  tip a pile of coal outside the gates of miners and retired miners.

That made the garages inaccessible for a few hours until the coal was moved.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device