[Tagging] Fruit stands and shops selling fresh fruits?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 12:23:30 UTC 2019

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 12:38, marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Le 10.08.19 à 07:24, Warin a écrit :
> > the key produce=* could be used to detail what was sold
>
> a shop produce nothing. better to use vending=*

In English "produce" as a verb has a different meaning to "produce" as a
noun (and
are pronounced differently).  A shop selling stuff produced by a farm sells
farm
produce.  So yes, vending=* would be better as it removes the ambiguity,
except
for the problem that vending=* doesn't really mean that in OSM but is used
in
conjunction with vending machines.

Oh, and we should really have used product=* rather than produce=* to
resolve
that ambiguity, but we didn't.  Mainly, I suspect, because in English
"produce" refers
to things that are grown and "product" refers to things that are
made/extracted.
Don't ask me why that is, but nobody would talk of farm product or factory
produce.

--
Paul