[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 21:08:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 05:04, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure the hierarchy
>> trunk/primary/secondary/tertiary/<something_else>/residential with a side
>> of service types is general enough that all countries can map their own
>> system to it. I feel no need to force any country's own system upon any
>> other country, or to make it the same all over the world.
>>

> I largely agree.  I wouldn't mind country-specific values similar to the
> advantage that the UK has on this as previously stated, then let the wiki
> work out what counts as largely equivalent in character for the renderers
> to work with.  I feel like that would help a lot on the front and back end
> of it.

So how do you go about setting country-specific values?

In Australia, it's not uncommon for a Primary (& in some cases, Trunk!)
road to be a single lane dirt road!, & it would be nice to be able to show
them with the importance that they are to local residents of that area.

Is it simply a matter of specifying road types under the "Australia" page &
hoping that people read them?

Thanks

Graeme