[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Aug 11 19:02:53 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure the hierarchy
> trunk/primary/secondary/tertiary/<something_else>/residential with a side
> of service types is general enough that all countries can map their own
> system to it. I feel no need to force any country's own system upon any
> other country, or to make it the same all over the world.

I largely agree.  I wouldn't mind country-specific values similar to the
advantage that the UK has on this as previously stated, then let the wiki
work out what counts as largely equivalent in character for the renderers
to work with.  I feel like that would help a lot on the front and back end
of it.

If mapping tools map "dunno" to highway=road and <something_else> to
> highway=unclassified, I would applaud that. If renderers would consider
> mapping quaternary same as unclassified, I would applaud that. If this list
> could reach consensus for this preferred tagging and some commitment to
> getting it straight in a few OSM-significant countries, I'm sure renderers,
> mapping tools and checking tools will consider implementing it.

Agreed, highway=road is great for "there's something here, but I don't know
what it is".  Amazon Logistics mappers would be wise to use this value more
than trying to make a low quality or incorrect guess (and I hope they're
reading this because they're really doing a number on driveways and parking
lots in Oklahoma right now at a pace I can't keep up with, particularly
with OSMCha having broken RSS feeds).