[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:38:43 UTC 2019

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 15:31, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> TL;DR;
> Just because you only see a simple system for road numbering on the ground
> (like motorway, national, regional, local) doesn’t mean your government
> doesn’t use much more complex mechanisms to plan, build and maintain roads
> and the road network.

Which is a brief summary of part of the point I made.  However, the other
part was that even if
all of those internal planning rules are available, the decisions made may
not be entirely
predictable (especially if we don't have access to traffic statistics) and
the only objectively
verifiable data we have is the signage.  If your country's government
indicates with signs
that a road as a primary route then that is what it is.  If your country
doesn't have official road
classifications then you'll have to use your judgement.

--
Paul