[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 17:05:16 UTC 2019

On 12/08/2019 14:36, Paul Allen wrote:
> Where a country-wide classification exists, it is usual for this to be
> reflected in the
> numbering scheme and the signage.  In the UK it may not be readily
> apparent whether
> a road is a trunk or a primary since they'll both be "A" roads with
> the same style of
> signage, but there's an obvious difference in signage between A roads
> and B roads

Careful. If my understanding is correct, the term 'trunk road' as used
in the UK does not map to highway=trunk in OSM. The latter has always I
believe been used to represent the 'primary route network' in the UK
(excluding the motorways), that is those A roads (and possibly some B
roads) which connect the designated 'primary destinations' on the road
network. They should be characterized by green signage, which therefore
distinguishes them from other A roads which are not part of the primary
network (black-and-white signage, confusingly mapped as highway=primary
in OSM).

--
Steve

---