[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Aug 12 17:17:36 UTC 2019

On Monday, 12 August 2019, Steve Doerr wrote:
> On 12/08/2019 14:36, Paul Allen wrote:
> > Where a country-wide classification exists, it is usual for this to be
> > reflected in the
> > numbering scheme and the signage.  In the UK it may not be readily
> > apparent whether
> > a road is a trunk or a primary since they'll both be "A" roads with
> > the same style of
> > signage, but there's an obvious difference in signage between A roads
> > and B roads
>
> Careful. If my understanding is correct, the term 'trunk road' as used
> in the UK does not map to highway=trunk in OSM. The latter has always I
> believe been used to represent the 'primary route network' in the UK
> (excluding the motorways), that is those A roads (and possibly some B
> roads) which connect the designated 'primary destinations' on the road
> network. They should be characterized by green signage, which therefore
> distinguishes them from other A roads which are not part of the primary
> network (black-and-white signage, confusingly mapped as highway=primary
> in OSM).

That is a correct summary.

Although most in the UK will be unaware  of the difference between trunk (national government operated) and other green signed A road (local government operated).

There  is no discernable difference between tha A49 south of Shrewsbury and A49 north of Shrewsbury.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device