[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:03:40 UTC 2019

Re: > In Spain we have motorways (autopistas) and also we have
motorways (autovías).

I believe those translate as (sorry, my Spanish is rusty)

autopista (Lit. auto(mobile) raceway) = freeway (US), motorway (UK)
 - tag as highway=motorway

autovía (Lit. auto(mobile) road) = expressway (US), motorroad (UK)
 - add motorroad=yes (?)

> Our physical classification would not be subjective:
> -Is average speed statistics (here you can access and use this data for free) subjective?
> -Is Average Daily Traffic (ADT) data subjective?

However, these statistics cannot be practically verified by us. We
could only copy and paste these from the official government
statistics, which would be updated infrequently and might not be
available for all roads (at least if Spain is similar to the USA). See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability#Statistical_properties
"statistical properties often cannot be verified by individual
mappers." - that's why there are no commonly used tags for average
speed or average daily traffic.

> -Is maximum speed subjective?
> -Is the existence of bridges to avoid track crossings subjective?
> -Is the restriction for some kinds of traffic (bikes) subjective?

These can and should be tagged, because they are based on signs and
physical features, and I believe most good routing engines use all of
this information.

> The signage will be ALWAYS represented by the first letter of the reference.

That's not easy for foreigners and travelers to interpret. It's nice
to use a classification system that works internationally.

But as I mentioned before, I think the current tagging of
highway=trunk and highway=primary in Spain looks great. Go ahead and
add more tags like motorroad=yes if needed to distinguish the faster
routes.

-Joseph

On 8/13/19, yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> other solution.
>
> https://imgur.com/ejM93LR
> N-340 in this section should be primary:50/60 maximum speed, all traffic
> allowed but it is near the second city in population of Spain, Barcelona
> and this is the alternative of AP-7. Also two cars fit in. It is of Fomento
> (Country) so some people thinks this should be trunk.
>
> https://imgur.com/3AaQzpS
> T-340 in this section should be primary: 80/60 average speed, all traffic
> allowed, crossings with tracks at the same level without no bridges. But it
> is from Diputació de Tarragona (Province) so for some people this should be
> secondary or tertiary. It is the main road to access to Delta de l'Ebre one
> of the most important Natural Parks in Catalonia.
>
> <http://goog_279443702>
> https://imgur.com/y35kjmm
> A-14 in this section should be motorway (autovía) . In Spain to be
> "Autopista" you should to have these three things:
> -No same-level crossings (without bridges and exits), no traffic signals
> and roundabouts
> -Minimum speed of 60 km/h
> -Have two or more lanes per direction
> -Strict criteria for access the way, from motorway junctions and not
> directly.
> When you don't cover one only of this criteria you are not Autopista , you
> are Autovía (motorway also). Fomento decides in the majority of situations
> convert their roads in motorways.
>
> And yes Spain is different. I remember this https://imgur.com/mgfNbLs
> between Liverpool and Manchester is a "trunk"... Here in Spain we don't
> have this in a trunk for about...20 years.
> Also other problem comes when you have a "Nacional" (administrative trunk)
> and a parallel autovía (motorway). General traffic goes by motorway, so the
> trunk has A.D.T. data more little than other secondary or primary roads of
> the same zone (for this reason this section of the "Nacional" should be
> tertiary. Well, in Catalonia we try it officially. Here it ICGC Catalan
> Government (State) map:http://www.icc.cat/vissir3/index.html?DsebH9VpR
> Fomento it is not agree with that: https://imgur.com/YH0GiWY
> In this section there are not one but TWO motorways to avoid and pass the
> city of Tarragona so tertiary is the most accurate category for this
> section of "Nacional".
>
> Openstreetmap should represent the reality of the place: you cannot avoid
> the importance of some ways because they are from a little government. Or
> in a reverse way: you cannot send the trucks via a sloped-curve-way because
> it is "National"
>
> Salut i carreteres (Health and roads)
> yopaseopor

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 12:35 PM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 01:20, yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> trunk: 4,3,2-lane new roads (newer than twenty years, with new track),
>>> with only interlevel crossings and exits, average speed of 80/100, and
>>> lanes. It is possible bikes or agricultural vehicles would be prohibited