[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:47:17 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 13. Aug 2019, at 13:18, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> In my opinion, tagging the trunk roads (and secondary roads) passing through that city
> as residential would be very unhelpful.

yes, this is a discussion we also had over weeks and months in Italy, many years ago, where some mappers sustained that even in cities like Milan the highest road class would be tertiary, which led to illegible maps in these areas for some time, until they could finally be convinced...

In case of a road going through a settlement I would keep the road class. The wiki page on residential is also clear on this I thought: ‘This tag is used for roads accessing or around residential areas but which are not normally used as through routes (which would usually be classified highways or unclassified highways).’

Cheers Martin