[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 11:18:11 UTC 2019

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 01:37, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If classes like motorway or trunk are bound to legal or physical
> characteristics rather than only a hierarchical network, and aren’t
> “complete” from a network aspect, you will get the gaps.

This is the case in the UK.  You do get gaps in the network, to the extent
that occasionally
a section of a trunk road has been replaced with a short section of
motorway.  Unavoidable,
but not really a problem.  Both are rendered in a way that indicates they
are preferred routes
and humans looking at a map are good at spotting that there is a continuous
route even
though one segment has different legal/physical characteristics.

Where the problem comes is with those who insist that a trunk road passing
through a
city or large town should be tagged as residential.  A good example is the
A487 passing
through the centre of the city of Aberystwyth:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.4163&mlon=-4.0802#map=15/52.4163/-4.0802

In my opinion, tagging the trunk roads (and secondary roads) passing
through that city
as residential would be very unhelpful.

--
Paul