[Tagging] Classifying roads from Trunk to Tertiary and Unclassified

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 22:26:53 UTC 2019

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 21:19, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A good example is the A487 passing
> through the centre of the city of Aberystwyth:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.4163&mlon=-4.0802#map=15/52.4163/-4.0802

Just looking at your sample there, Paul, & it's a good chance to ask a
question that I've often wondered about.

I use OSMand+ to nav when required, & it will tell me to drive along SR3
then turn onto SR80 & proceed. I don't! - I drive along Bermuda St (which
is officially Southport - Burleigh Rd!), then turn onto Reedy Creek Rd.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-28.0944/153.4260

In your sample, would someone driving from Aberystwyth Uni, go along the
A487, then the A44 & the A4120 to get to Blandolau Rec Grounds, or would
they use Penglais Rd, Quebec Rd, Ffordd Sulien then Heol-y-Bont?

In other words, do you navigate & drive by numbers or names?

Thanks

Graeme