[Tagging] Gorges, Canyons, Ravines: natural=valley or new tag?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 03:26:35 UTC 2019

To me a canyon is narrow with steep cliffs on either side (a place where
you'd go canyoning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyoning) and a gorge is
much wider and may have less steep sides.... but then you have the Grand
Canyon in the US which is wide and less steep sides.

I'd vote for separate tags natural=canyon, etc. Because a valley is very
different to a canyon so you'd want to be explicit about this.

As an aside, I think route=canyon is good for documenting recreational
canyoning routes.