[Tagging] How to distinguish public and private offices?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 21:11:21 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 14. Aug 2019, at 22:27, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
>
> There are some offices that can be assumed to be without access by general public
> like office=company.

I would generally think of office=* as not accessible for the general public, at least this was the initial idea if I recall correctly. The office=company tag seems to be an outlier among the office tags.

For example
amenity=bank is a place where (small) customers go to do banking

office=bank is a place where the “other” bankers are working (no public admittance)

Those places where the public is generally admitted will usually/often also have private areas where the public can’t access (similar to the kitchen or office of a restaurant)

> There are some that can be assumed to be accessible like office=travel_agent.

depends what this is describing: a place where you go to book a tour / hotel / flight or a business 2 business place (back office) where contracts / agreements are made, tours are composed, offers calculated, catalogues created, etc.?

IMHO upholding clear semantics for shop and amenity (public generally admitted) and office (public generally not admitted) would help make/keep tagging easier.

There is also craft, which is more about formal qualification though and can be used in addition to other main tags.

Cheers Martin