[Tagging] Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, route=hiking, route=foot and Walking routes

s8evq s8evq at runbox.com
Thu Aug 15 11:18:19 UTC 2019

> Nit picking..

No worries. First I wanted to wait with editing the actual content of the tagging scheme. But now that we're on the topic, we could just as well fine-tune it.

I also noticed that already. I have changed the key from name:xy to name:code and linked to a corresponding wiki page. (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Localization) I have also changed the corresponding explanation field.

 > Suggested text for osmc:symbol <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:osmc:symbol>=*
> "represents the symbol used on the route."?

OK

> state=* should be dropped!
> There are already life cycle tags that can be used for planning,
> construction etc. Alternate ... As in an alternate path, this could be a
> role in the route? Thoughts...

I agree in favor of using life cycle tags. The use of state= is also not documented in the wiki (excep state=alternate). I see that the discussion on how to tag alternate routes is currently still going on on this mailing list. So I would leave state=alternate as is, remove state=proposed and state=temporary for the moment, and wait what the outcome is of the current discussion.

> I think colour
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:colour>=* could be the major
> colour of the symbol used on the route?

OK. I also removed now the reference to public transport routes.

> Not enchanted with educational
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:educational&action=edit&redlink=1>=*
> as that key could be used for other things. But I don't have a
> suggestion for it. Some 25 uses so far, mostly in Germany.

Perhaps we can leave it for the time being, until somebody comes up with a proposal?

> Probably needs a statement that ways only are to be entered, excludes things like information boards, shelters, toilets etc etc.

Yes, that's something I still had to do. I wanted to add a general text above the table, also summarized from the four different pages. I'll do that later on.

Thanks a lot for going over this. I updated the temporary page: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_scheme_hiking_walking