[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Document personal tags in Proposed_features/ space, User: space, or Tag:/Key: space?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Aug 15 11:21:35 UTC 2019

On Thursday 15 August 2019, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

> In contrast, the current text of the wiki page "Any tags you like
> suggests creating a new tag for bird nests (as an example) with
> Key:endangered_nest=Siberian_flying_squirrel - besides suggesting
> using non-standard capitalization in the value, this suggests
> creating a new Key: / Tag: page directly, rather than using
> User:username/ or Proposed_features/.
>
> Is this a good idea?  Occasionally new wiki pages are created in
> these standard spaces for tags with only a few uses or no uses in the
> database.

Yes, IMO it is not only acceptable to document newly invented tags but
also advisable to do so.  Note however inventing tags in this context
means actively using them, not theoretical inventions along the lines
of "I would like mappers to tag things this way therefore i document
the tag as if it was being used".  Elaborate tagging schemes should be
discussed before being used and not be invented ad hoc by individual
mappers.

The reason is - as you mentioned - the "Any tags you like" principle.
It means you can and should invent new tags for *things no tag exists
for so far*.  To allow mappers to determine if there is already an
existing tag for a certain type of feature tags have to be documented.
Or looking at things the other way round:  If inventing new tags is
encouraged but it is discouraged to document them in a way that can be
easily found by other mappers that would massively emphasize tag
proliferation since mappers will repeatedly invent new and different
tags for certain things because they are unaware that another mapper
has already invented a tag for this.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/