[Tagging] Keys to which new values can be added without a proposal: craft=, shop=, building=, office=, sport=?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 13:26:30 UTC 2019

I can't believe I didn't notice the misspelling. Well, that is a major
problem with this value.

How about "craft=artist" then? The tag "craft=atelier" was described
as for any type of artist: "workshop of a ...professional artist in
the fine or decorative arts"

Wikipedia says "In art, the atelier consists of a master artist,
usually a professional painter, sculptor, or from the mid-19th century
a fine art photographer, working with a small number of students to
train them in visual or fine arts. This very word has also taken on
other similar meanings, indicating a place of work and study of the
haute couture fashion designer, hair stylist and artists in general"

The Key:craft page suggests that values should take the form of a
singular noun describing the craftsperson: "If using the English
language, please use the singular form, e.g. carpenter not carpenters"
- so "artist" or "designer" or "fine_art_painter" is better than a
word that describes the whole workshop/studio/building.


On 8/15/19, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 12:31, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Today a new wiki page was created for Tag:craft=artelier and the tag
>> was added to Template:Map_Features:craft, which adds this tag to the
>> Map Features page. It's been used 15 times. In comparison, studio=art
>> has been used 13 times, and studio=creative 17 times, but the author
>> of the new page mentions that this may be a problem because
>> amenity=studio is also used for TV, Radio and Music recording studios.
> The last time I checked (a few days ago) the wiki stated that
> amenity=studio
> is only for TV/Radio/Music studios.  For what I wanted to map,
> amenity=arts_centre was the way to go.
> In American English I've heard of artist's studios or art workshops,
>> but I'd not heard the word "artelier" before today.  (Per Oxford
>> online, it's "A workshop or studio, especially one used by an artist
>> or designer.")
> Atelier is not common in British English either.  I'd never hear of it
> before.  It's
> also a word that is prone to being mis-spelled as "artelier" it appears.
>> So, does this mean it is okay for craft=artelier to be added to the
>> official Map Features list? Should it be discussed first?
> If somebody hadn't already decided that craft=painter meant house painters
> rather than artists, I'd have said use that.  In fact, craft=painter makes
> no
> sense for house painters, it should be office=painter (or, better,
> office=decorator).
> If I want somebody to paint my house I expect him to apply paint to my
> house, not to his
> own office, so he doesn't (normally) perform his craft in his own office.
> But it's probably
> too late to fix that.  Well, we can (and probably should) deprecate
> craft=painter in favour of
> office=decorator but it's probably too late to give a new meaning to
> craft=painter.
> Since we have craft=sculptor and craft=handicraft, then for completeness we
> need something for the studios of painters.  OTOH, do we need to map
> any of those in the first place?  I've done so, but only in the cases where
> the
> same building is used as both the place to create the works and as a shop
> for those works, and that's because somebody who goes in to buy may be
> given the opportunity to see the artist at work.
> --
> Paul

More information about the Tagging mailing list