[Tagging] Artists studios, WAS Re: Keys to which new values can be added without a proposal: craft=, shop=, building=, office=, sport=?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Aug 16 05:20:00 UTC 2019

The difference between a production studio that copies old masters and
artists is that one is creating art, the other is just a copy.

An artist is different than a crafts person. Yes artists are skilled in
their craft, but what they produce is different. By OSM tagging them
appropriately will help consumers. If I'm looking for a stone carver for a
headstone, I most likely will want a craft=* If I want a stone sculpture,
I'll look for an artist.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 7:15 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/08/19 12:03, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>
> What is the objective difference between the workshop of a sculptor who
> makes many copies of ancient or tradition sculptures out of stone by hand,
> versus the workshop of a “fine art” sculpture who sells expensive
> “original”’works?
>

> None.
>

> There are many traditional sculptors in Indonesia who make stone Buddha
> statues (similar to those at Borobudur temple), or statues of Garuda carved
> intricately from wood or stone. Are they artists or not? They are certainly
> “sculptors”, no?
>
> Similarly, the art studio of a potter who makes expensive “fine art”
> pottery pieces will look similar to the studio of a craftsman who produces
> decorative ceramics by hand.
>
> I believe using a different key for “fine art painters” versus “craft and
> decorative painters” would be like using a different tag for regular
> restaurants and “fine cuisine” restaurants.
>
> The craft key is already being used for artistic sculptors, potters, glass
> makers, photographers and so on. It seems the most appropriate of the
> existing keys, and it would be inappropriately to try to divide “craft
> artists” and “fine artists” into different values, let alone different keys.
>

> Some artists can copy, some cannot copy. It is a skill. Many who copy can
> also originate.
>

> -Joseph
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 9:37 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> sent from a phone
>>
>> > On 16. Aug 2019, at 02:27, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I would suggest we move artist from the craft discussion on to its own
>> thread.
>>

>> agreed. Artists merit their own key, putting them under craft doesn’t
>> seem like a good choice.
>

> Artist do not merit their own key.

@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us