[Tagging] Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, route=hiking, route=foot and Walking routes

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 20:59:37 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 4:20 PM Jmapb via Tagging
<tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>   - Speaking of "yellow", the table specifies that colour should be a
> hex triplet, but wiki page for the colour key indicates that named HTML
> colours are also acceptable values. And I know many trails are tagged
> this way. So probably the new scheme should allow these too?

Since most trail markers are in bright primary colours, I like using the names.

Some maintenance organizations specify the marker colours with
numbered paint chips from the major paint manufacturers:
https://www.nynjtc.org/sites/default/files/documents/Recommended%20colors_0.pdf
is an example. I've used #rrggbb to approximate the colours for the
Long Path and Highlands Trail, and have otherwise just used the names
'white', 'blue', 'green', 'orange', 'red', 'yellow', 'pink' and
'black'. (The black was an inadvertent omission from the manual, and
is used only as a foreground colour atop another colour, usually
white.)

osmc:symbol is definitely needed to describe the ones from this
manual, that club has an elaborate symbology. Other clubs just use a
splash of the coloured paint on a tree or rock.

Farther north, the only reassurance markers on foot trails are 'red
dot', 'yellow dot', 'blue dot', 'white dot' and 'orange dot'. There is
little confusion, because trails with the same colour seldom meet. Red
is used for through trails running chiefly E/W, blue for through
trails running N/S; yellow is for loops and spurs; white is for
connectors and where a second colour is needed because of an
intersection with yellow; orange markers are for snowmobile, ATV and
MTB routes and are usually also signed and/or numbered. Major
snowmobile routes have reference numbers and highway shields that look
like http://hike.chipmoeser.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/psx_20160823_151117.jpg.
I'm not a snowmobilist or MTB or ATV rider, so I map these only in a
fragmentary fashion and only as I happen to encounter them.

In areas where the directional system is in use, a long route may go
through several colour changes but will be signed with its own marker
at principal junctions. (Where I map, there are only a handful of
long-distance routes affected by this: the Long Path, the Highlands
Trail, the Finger Lakes Trail, and the North Country Trail. Other long
trails exist and are blazed consistently: for example, the
Northville-Placid Trail and Shawangunk Ridge Trail are blue for their
entire length, and the Appalachian Trail carries its distinctive
rectangular white blazes.)
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin