[Tagging] Roles of route members (was: Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, ...)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 01:14:43 UTC 2019

My limited experience;

Gaps on the gpx route tend to be straight lines, ok when they are
contiguous but where they back track it gets confusing.

Some initial thoughts on what I would do, and have done on some routes
of interest to me ...

On 16/08/19 21:31, Peter Elderson wrote:
> Looked at de E2 relation in Yorkshire. It would require a lot of work
> to make it work for data users beside rendering, and to fit it into
> the E2 superroute as a whole.
> a. Nodes in the relation - not unheard of, but then with a role like
> start. Should be removed.
Agreed. I don't think nodes belong on a route?
> b. 10 gaps. Needs investigating the cause; some just reflect wrong order.
Re ordering is fairly easy.
> c. There are a bunch of sorted chains of ways. Maybe just a sorting
> problem, maybe more. Simple sort doesn't work because of the nodes and
> nested relations.
Remove the nodes.
> d. Contains ways and other route relations. The other routes appear to
> belong to another main variant running far to the west through
> Yorkshire. These should be separately checked, sorted, oriented and
> repaired, and then moved to a separate relation, in the right order
> (north to south).

If the relations are 'alternatives' .. or even if they are not .. move
them all to the end of the members and sort the way you have into some
order.
Then look at the gaps and see if any of the relations 'fit'.

> The eastern and western variants separate in Scotland, then run
> separately through England. The east route is the one that connects to
> the european E2 which follows the GR5 to Nice.
>
> The E2 has occasional signs all along the route, but the regular
> waymarking is that of the constituting trails. I think that is enough
> to say it's waymarked.
>
> Anybody knows who is mapping routes in England, knows his relation
> stuff, and wants to fix this?

Not in England, and not that interested in looking at it in detail.
Deleting nodes is easy, even putting them into a relation and then
placing that relation at the end so it does not interfere with sorting
is easy.. if someone objects to the nodes being deleted.
Sorting and order the ways too is easy. Dealing with 'alternatives'
needs some knowledge of the route, I don't have that.