[Tagging] Is crop=yes tag completely and utterly useless?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 07:54:47 UTC 2019

On 18/08/19 16:39, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> "Crop is a produce"
>
> What does that mean?
>
> The word "crop" in British English means " a cultivated plant that is
> grown on a large scale commercially, especially a cereal, fruit, or
> vegetable. (Oxford); or "a plant such as a grain, fruit, or vegetable
> grown in large amounts" (Cambridge).
>
> Plants are not produce, "produce" is the thing that a plant produces,
> in OSM: "Describes a feature's agricultural output..." - so the word
> "crop" is not appropriate, because "crop" is not the agricultural
> output of an area of farmland, but a category.

'Crop' Look at the values used for crop crop=coconut, crop=wheat,
crop=hay etc. All of the reasonable ones are also 'produce'.
  (Unreasonable ones such as 'market gardening are not crops so fail as
produce too.) Look at the OSM description: Crop: "The crop produced by
cultivated land." That would not be the plant but the output? And it
does not match the BE definition? 'Produce'  Englishdictionary as nounis
defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "Agricultural and other
natural products collectively." In OSM description: Describes a
feature's agricultural output produced though a natural process of
growing or breeding. The BE and OSM meanings are a much closer match for
'produce' where as they differ for 'crop'.

> But I see that there is some desire for a tag for generic cropland, or
> farmland used to grow unspecified crops. For this I would suggest the
> key "farmland=cropland" or "crop=field_cropland", rather than crop=yes
> (less specific) or produce=crop (unclear).
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/farmland
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/crop=field_cropland
>
> Warin, if you do decide to use any of these tags, please document them
> at a Tag: page or in your userspace or a proposal, if you have the
> time.

There are many values for the key crop that lack documentation. crop=field_cropland being one, I think that describes the landuse not the output.

Another one that looks to me to be very bad is 'market_gardening'.

As these are 'common' yet lack documentation there is a need for them to be documented by those that support them. Joseph?

> Joseph
>
> On 8/18/19, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cannot farm land can be used for crops for some time, and then milk
>> cattle for some other period of time?
>> IIRC that is what one of my relatives did.

? Anyone care to comment?