[Tagging] Roles of route members (was: Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, ...)

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 20:35:53 UTC 2019

Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>:

>> On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 3:31 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm afraid testing is all I can offer. I could list problems to detect, but I think I would not be telling you news. Very important: handle nested relations (hierarchies). RA currently does not.
>
> Uhm, yeah, that's a problem. For what it's worth, Waymarked Trails
> seems to have a much better route assembler. It copes with
> https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=919642, which definitely
> has lacunae (because I never seem to have time to get to Schoharie
> County to get the data to close the gaps).

It is quite clever! Its explained here: https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/help/rendering/hierarchies

It’s easy to spot if a route is broken: the map usually will be not that bad, but the elevation profile will tell you and show you. If it’s badly broken, it usually requires lots of JOSM before you can use it for export to a gps app or device, or import into a route editor or trip planner for waymarked/signposted routes.