[Tagging] Roles of route members (was: Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking, ...)

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 08:05:00 UTC 2019

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 at 18:26, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>
wrote:

> I'd fully agree on roles. The use of 'alternate' and 'forward'/'reverse'
> roles for bike route relations dates back to the earliest days of bike
> route
> mapping in OSM and is well established by now.

I suppose this is a typo:
It should be 'forward'/'backward' and not  'forward'/'reverse'
(see the wiki page: Cycle Routes
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cycle_routes>:
"*Relation role*: Cycle routes sometimes have different paths depending on
the direction you are travelling. In this case, ways in the relation should
have a role of *forward* or *backward* as described in
Relation:route#Members
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Members>. The direction
is rendered on the cycle map (example
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.88885&lon=0.8972&zoom=16&layers=C>)")