[Tagging] Livestock=* to specify the livestock animals in a farmyard or meadow?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 00:45:31 UTC 2019

On 19/08/19 21:34, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 12:16, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     That is a negative for me, I like property tags that can be used
>     anywhere appropriate.
>

> The authors of at least one editor disagree with you there.  Unless
> all of the possible
> values are applicable to all objects for which that property is
> appropriate, they won't
> implement a preset for it.  If objects of type A get one subset of
> values but objects
> of type B get a different subset of values then it won't get
> implemented.  Because
> they populate drop-downs from the wiki and/or wikidata. In this
> particular case,
> all farm animals might be found in zoos but not all zoo animals will
> be found on
> farms.  Having a common property tag would lead to a drop-down for farm
> animals including pandas, bears, gold eagles, reticulated pythons,
> etc. because
> it would be populated from the same (hypothetical) wiki(data) page
> that covers zoo
> and farm animals.

Separating animals into categories of 'exotic', 'livestock', 'native',
'working, 'feral' and 'pet' .. this would be area dependant.

Elephants in many areas of the world would be 'exotic' in a few others
'working', and /or 'native'.

Kangaroos in many areas of the world would be 'exotic' in some others
'native', yet to see 'livestock' but there is hope.

This does not fit into some easy method of categorising for some drop
down menu for the world, sorry.

So I think all possible animals may, I say may, be applicable to any
feature that 'animal' could be used.