[Tagging] Garmin waypoints and routes (was: "Roles of route members" and before that "Merging tagging scheme on wiki pages of Hiking")

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 11:40:55 UTC 2019

On 19/08/2019 19:04, Peter Elderson wrote:

> Ok, I accept I just don't know how it's done. So how is that done? How
> do I tell my Garmin to guide me along, say, the Limes trail through
> the Netherlands?

Essentially, you'd just look at the screen and follow that!  I tend to
use waypoints for an idea of things like "how long will it be until I
get to where I'm going to stop for lunch", not for "turn left here
because route XYZ turns left here", because you can see on the screen
that route XYZ "turns left here".

If you want to add a series of waypoints and route along those then you
can, but want you can't typically do with one of the hiking-oriented
Garmins is follow a particular feature.  You could create an OSM-based
Garmin map that forced a device to route along a trail at the expense of
any other paths, but I certainly wouldn't want to do that as it would
stop me from leaving the trail to eat in a nearby town.

Creating a Garmin route from a GPX file is possible, but probably
impractical, as you'd need to restrict the number of points. Apparently
my GPSMap 64 supports 200 routes with 250 points per route, and up to
5000 waypoints in total.

Where Garmin on-device routing is really useful is for when you need to
get to somewhere but don't have an on-screen route to follow - for
example if the weather's turned and you need to abort a previously
planned route and get another route to your destination from where you
currently are.  It's also useful where there are natural obstacles like
rivers, where the distance on foot may be significantly more than the
as-the-crow-flies distance.

Best Regards,

Andy