[Tagging] bear box in campground ?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 00:22:44 UTC 2019

On 22/08/19 08:16, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 08:02, Rob Savoye <rob at senecass.com
> <mailto:rob at senecass.com>> wrote:
>

>     > We should probably add both of these to the proposed list of
>     > campsite property tags at
>
>       That's be a good idea, as bear boxes are becoming more and more
>     common
>     in western US campgrounds.
>

> We don't have that problem!,

'We' have problems with possums, mice and rats (native, not the other
kind yet).
They have been known to eat through expensive tents and backpacks even
where the 'food' inside is simply a unwashed stain.

Boxes have been provided in a few locations.
At other locations hanging food (and rubbish) is required unless you
want it eaten and scattered around.

Dingoes are also a problem, but they usually just steel, they don't open
tents or eat into them.
At a few places currawong have learnt how to undo zippers and access
food inside backpacks.

https://tasmaniangeographic.com/food-raiders-of-the-overland-track/

Is there a requirement to tag these 'animal resistant boxes'? Would a
more universal tag be better?

I am surprised raccoons are not a problem in northern America.