[Tagging] bear box in campground ?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Aug 22 01:27:28 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 7:53 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/08/19 10:25, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 7:23 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a requirement to tag these 'animal resistant boxes'? Would a
>> more universal tag be better?
>>

> I've generally heard these referred to as "bear boxes" regardless of the
> species they're intended to guard against.  Granted, my exposure to such
> facilities is limited and I am bear-biased.
>

> American English? Fortunately the UK does not seem to suffer from this
> issue, so there is no British English example we can use.

Well, of course, they hunted their bears to extinction and turned 'em into
hats.  I think Canadian trappers are now the current source.

> For someone who is not familiar with the term 'bear box' it may sound like
> bears are stored in there.
> "Food storage box" might be better?

Fair point.  Food storage box would just mean any kind of camp staple box
at a semipermanent encampment, though, and most staple boxes are just
basically resistance against weather and vermin, typically raised off the
ground about waist high on the low side with a lid that flips out as a food
preparation surface, but wouldn't survive initial contact with a bear
interested in its contents.  Common at locations where backpackers
typically travel in groups of around half a dozen and stay encamped for
several days at a shot in order to facilitate a single common kitchen.

Quick Google search suggests "staple box" is not particularly known outside
of Parks Canada, Scouts Canada and Scouts BSA circles, though, with kitchen
box being slightly more common in North America and "chuck box uk" actually
being the first autocomplete when you start typing "chuck box" in Google.
Chuck box seems to also be the most unambiguous and british term available.

So, for any such box, perhaps amenity=chuck_box and if it's purpose built
against some kind of specific threat to its contents, then hardened=yes?

I'm not married to the terminology, but I am ready to buy in.

> I am surprised raccoons are not a problem in northern America.
>>

> They are, but unlike bears (especially black bears), raccoons haven't
> figured out how to open car doors from the outside yet.  Probably owing to
> their rather short stature being unable to reach the door handle.
>

> If they team together they can form a pyramid for the reach, only need to
> figure out the handle then.
> Can they do zippers? Raiding tents and backpacks then becomes possible.

Can confirm that raccoons don't bother with zippers, they just go through.
Learned the hard way at Cape Foulweather State Park to tree packs with food
when my pack got raided the first campout I had in the Scouts.  Only had to
ruin my grandfather's US Army pack he brought back from World War II, which
had additionally survived an extended backpacking trip across Afghanistan
my mother took when it was under Soviet control in the process (I learned
how to restore it after that, and ended up getting a more modern pack
better suited for backpacking).