[Tagging] Document personal tags in Proposed_features/ space, User: space, or Tag:/Key: space?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 00:33:02 UTC 2019

Misuse of a key/tag happens.

Some guidance should resolve the issue.

First lets outline the problems this user has with the present tagging
advocated by some here using the example:

natural=dune

1) It may not be natural.
The key natural <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural> is, in
OSM, used with both natural things and unnatural things. Some object to
this misuse of the English language and so dual tag. For things that are
land covers use the key landcover
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover> for things that are
landforms use the key landform
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landform>.

2) Rendering
It does not render. Ho hum. I don't care. If rendering is all that is
wanted pick something that renders that is a fair fit and use it.

3) Dunes not only sand covered.
Some contend that dunes are not just sand covered .. but may have
plants. They may be formed from particles other than sand.
Using natural=dune and natural=sand will cause problems. Using
natural=dune and surface=sand won't render.

Solution for dunes?
landform=dune - truth. It is a dune and that is a land form.
landcover=sand/* Map the land cover, usually sand. Again map the truth.
natural=sand .. for the render .. ugly but there it is, the dual tag.