[Tagging] landcover dune or land form dune

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 04:34:04 UTC 2019

TOn 26/08/19 13:51, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Agreed. I already mentioned this to the user who created the tag on
> the page Talk:Tag:landcover=dunes
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:landcover%3Ddunes (note
> plural "dunes"); t
>
> There seems to be confusion about what the key "landcover" means,
> because recently there have also been pages created for
> landcover=water and landcover=hedge as well.

Just as grass is a land cover, so too is a hedge, trees, sand ...

Presently farms at sea are landuse=aquaculture... so by extension water is a land cover.

> This also brings up the question: is it appropriate to edit pages like
> this to mention the more common tags at the top, e.g. natural=dune,
> natural=sand? Often other editors are unhappy when I add something
> like "Consider using the more common tags natural=dune or
> natural=sand" - but if anyone can create a Tag: or Key: page, it seems
> important that similar and synonymous tags are mentioned at the top.

Traditionally OSMwikis had a section 'See also' where other tags were placed.

Placing more and more information at the top of the page confuses people.

The page should first describe the tag and how to use it. This is good educational practice.

Only once that is done should alternatives and complementary tags be suggested.

I would prefer alternatives and complimentary tags to be in separate sections too.
See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Daquaculture
Note .. It may have been me placing produce there.. caution is advised!

It is not easy to strike a good balance. (Note this is not a tagging issue... perhaps better on the main talk page?)