[Tagging] Parking spaces for car charging

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 11:54:33 UTC 2019

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 01:37, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> amenity=charging _space? Says what it is.

First problem is that goes against the design of amenity=parking_space.
Somebody
will then decide to have amenity=disabled_parking_space rather than use the
appropriate subtag with amenity=parking_space.  I'm not saying
amenity=parking_space
is perfect, but it's there and I hesitate to invent yet another way of
doing things.

Second problem is that a car parked there to charge is actually parked
there.  So it's
still a parking space, in the same way that a disabled parking space is
still a
parking space.  There are restrictions on who can use it, but it's still a
parking
space.

Third problem is that although the ones my local supermarket recently
installed have
signs (which,so far, are being completely ignored) saying they are only for
charging,
in other places (particularly as charging stations become more common) such
spaces
may not be restricted to charging but allow parking of any kind.  In fact
it's very likely to
happen whenever/wherever the proportion of charging spaces is significantly
larger
than the proportion of electric vehicles.  Your method does not permit such
dual-use
situations to be mapped.

--
Paul