[Tagging] landcover dune or land form dune

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 12:15:10 UTC 2019

I agree, Paul.
The most important things on a wiki page are 1) The description of the
tag: what sort of feature or property does it represent and 2) How
does one distinguish it from overlapping tags? Both of these should be
in the first paragraph / section.

For example, see highway=raceway:
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=raceway)
"A racetrack for motorised racing, eg cars, motorbikes and karts.
For cycling, running, horses, greyhounds etc, use leisure=track."

highway=unclassified
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified
"The tag highway=unclassified is used for minor public roads typically
at the lowest level of the interconnecting grid network. Unclassified
roads have lower importance in the road network than {{tag|tertiary}}
roads, and are not residential streets or agricultural tracks...."

And see the next section
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified#When_is_this_applicable.3

place=town
"Use place=town to identify an important urban centre that is larger
than a place=village, smaller than a place=city, and not a
place=suburb."

leisure=park
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dpark
Second paragraph (first section): "... Such large, national-level ...
parks not so designed and manicured, but rather left in a more wild
and natural state should not get this tag, instead, use another tag
like boundary=national_park; see below."

Also see pages like
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dfarmland and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface which prominently
mention the other similar tags in the first section below the
description,

As these examples show, it's common practice to mention other tags
that might be confused with the tag, rather than just listing them in
the "See Also" section.

"See Also" comes from Wikipedia, where it suggests other articles that
might be interesting. It's fine for tags that are not likely to be
confused or overlap with the tag in question. But it doesn't work when
there are synonyms or tags that appear like they could be used in the
same way; these need to be mentioned up-front.

-Joseph