[Tagging] landcover dune or land form dune

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 13:18:45 UTC 2019

Yes, I agree that for something like landcover=hedge an even stronger
warning is needed.

Some context for why Warin and I are talking about this: The second
section of the key page  Key:produce has long mentioned the
differences between produce=* and product=*.

I added to that section, mentioning that crop=* is used more
frequently than produce=* to specify the annual crops grown on
farmland, and trees=*, used more frequently than produce=* to specify
the trees found in an orchard. I probably should have mentioned that
aquaculture=* is the more common tag to specify the type of organisim
in a landuse=aquaculture feature (e.g. shrimp).

But this addition was first reverted, and after I restored it, now it
has been moved it to a "See Also" section. I disagree with this. if we
are going to mention the difference between produce=* and product=*,
there should be a mention of the other tags, otherwise it appears that
product=* is the only similar or overlapping or synonymous tag that
needs to be considered before picking produce=*.

There was also a statement added that "crop=* can not be used for all
produce=*, but produce=* can be used for all crop=*" which is not
accurate, based on usage of the tags in the database.

I would prefer that a proposal be made to deprecate a key (eg to
replace crop=*, trees=* and aquaculture=* with produce=*), if this is
the intention, rather than removing or de-emphasizing factual
information that does not fit a certain narrative.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:produce#Crop_should_not_be_added_to_the_disambiguation_of_produce_vs_product_section