[Tagging] landcover dune or land form dune

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 22:36:30 UTC 2019

On 26/08/19 23:18, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Yes, I agree that for something like landcover=hedge an even stronger
> warning is needed.
>
> Some context for why Warin and I are talking about this: The second
> section of the key page  Key:produce has long mentioned the
> differences between produce=* and product=*.
>
> I added to that section, mentioning that crop=* is used more
> frequently than produce=* to specify the annual crops grown on
> farmland, and trees=*, used more frequently than produce=* to specify
> the trees found in an orchard. I probably should have mentioned that
> aquaculture=* is the more common tag to specify the type of organisim
> in a landuse=aquaculture feature (e.g. shrimp).
>
> But this addition was first reverted, and after I restored it, now it
> has been moved it to a "See Also" section. I disagree with this. if we
> are going to mention the difference between produce=* and product=*,
> there should be a mention of the other tags, otherwise it appears that
> product=* is the only similar or overlapping or synonymous tag that
> needs to be considered before picking produce=*.

The addition was between the 'disambiguation of produce and product' and external links that give further information on the 'disambiguation of produce and product'.
As such it broke the information structure and the function of that section.

If cop and tree needs to be mentioned high in the order of the produce page then produce needs to be similarly mentioned on the crop and tree page.

> There was also a statement added that "crop=* can not be used for all
> produce=*, but produce=* can be used for all crop=*" which is not
> accurate, based on usage of the tags in the database.

Based on the descriptions of 'crop' and 'produce', 'crop' is a subset of 'produce'. Not a matter of frequency of occurrence.

> I would prefer that a proposal be made to deprecate a key (eg to
> replace crop=*, trees=* and aquaculture=* with produce=*), if this is
> the intention, rather than removing or de-emphasizing factual
> information that does not fit a certain narrative.

Then propose it.