[Tagging] New proposal draft to simplify the mapping of farm buildings (stables)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 21:00:58 UTC 2019

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 at 21:39, mr.moehritz--- via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> I would like to propose a new tagging-scheme for stables that would be
> more flexible.

More confused?  Yes.  Less precise?  Yes.  More flexible?  A little, but
not so flexible
as just mapping all farm buildings as building=yes.

Let's see.  You think that building=farm is for animals.  I agree that the
tag is very badly
named, but it is used for the farmhouse.  If you get that wrong, what hope
is there that the
rest is useful?

Although technically a stable can be for any kind of livestock, in common
usage and in OSM
usage it is for horses.  In OSM it is ONLY for horses.  So you wish to
redefine the meaning of
a tag that has been used 24,000 times.  That is very unlikely to gain
approval.  Even if the
basic idea were good that alone would sink it.

Oh, and you say that a sty is for pigs (correct) and a sty is for cows
(incorrect).

Your proposal is badly conceived and badly implemented.  And by that I mean
that the
proposal itself is badly implemented because it contains several factual
errors.

Introduce a new value for building that means "building for livestock of a
kind that will
be specified in a subtag" and you might have a chance of success.  Hijacking
building=stable is almost guaranteed to fail.

--
Paul