[Tagging] New proposal draft to simplify the mapping of farm buildings (stables)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 07:26:52 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 27. Aug 2019, at 23:00, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Oh, and you say that a sty is for pigs (correct) and a sty is for cows (incorrect)

probably just a copy +paste problem, and should have been cowshed

> Introduce a new value for building that means "building for livestock of a kind that will
> be specified in a subtag" and you might have a chance of success.  Hijacking
> building=stable is almost guaranteed to fail.

+1
This appears to be a typical language issue: in German there is one word (de:Stall) which is used for the “house” of many animals, e.g. cows, pigs, horses and chicken. To a German it seems complicated having completely different words for it, but as we use English tags, where stable is dedicated for horses, it would be misleading and unnatural for the rest of the mappers to use it for cowsheds or pigsties. I am also opposing this proposal.

Cheers Martin