[Tagging] New proposal draft to simplify the mapping of farm buildings (stables)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 15:00:28 UTC 2019

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 15:37, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> With regard to pig sty referring to an outdoor enclosure: the dictionary
> says it can mean both, a small building or outside area where pigs are
> kept. This is similar to German where, AFAIK, the outdoor areas associated
> with an animal building, may be comprised in the term (be seen as part of
> it).

I suppose it depends which dictionary you look at.  Also, English
dictionaries are descriptive,
not prescriptive.  It seems common (to me, but this isn't a topic I
generally discuss, so
it's not a good statistical sample) that sty usually refers to a building
and pen to an enclosure,
but the dictionaries I've looked at say sty means either building or

AFAIK this is a “modern” pigsty (not very suitable for the animals,
> although they live in small families they don’t have earth to move), it’s
> called slatted floor type.
> https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/pigs-are-seen-in-a-pigsty-at-a-farm-in-pluduno-western-france-on-2-picture-id465455096

As far as I can tell, that's classes as a piggery in British English.  And
since it's far more common
than the old style sty, I think we probably need to acknowledge it.
Whether we need a formal vote
beforehand or not, the wiki page ought to list it as a type of farm

more happy pigs to be found here (supposedly)
> https://www.naturalpigfarming.com/low%20res%2060/IMG_1385.jpg

And that is a pig pen.  But, according to some, also a pig sty.  An
enclosure rather than a building.
Do we have a good way of mapping enclosures?  There are sheep folds as well
as pig pens.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20190828/29aed622/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list