[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - protection_class=* (Words, not numeric codes)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 13:15:32 UTC 2019

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 00:05, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> I _am_ tempted to change the name to 'protection_category' because
> that's IUCN's term,

No objections from me.

> and then discuss on the Wiki that 'recreation',
> 'culture', and 'hazard' expand upon the IUCN vocabulary to encompass
> types of protection that the International Union for the Conservation
> of *Nature* does not recognize (these protections, in general, apply
> to sites that are substantially altered from a natural state and for
> which returning them to a natural state may not be an objective).

Here are some other UK types that occur to me.  Some already have other
ways of
being mapped.  Some may fit in with categories/classes/whatevers you already
have.  I don't insist  that your proposal deals with all of them right now
(you
already have enough to be going on with) but it would be nice if your
proposal
doesn't make it impossible to add them, cleanly, at a later date.  Don't
paint
yourself into any corners if you can avoid it. :)

Site of Special Scientific Interest.  Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
World Heritage
Site and World Heritage Site Arcs of View.  Registered Historic Landscape.
Protected
Wreck.  There are also scheduled monuments, but they're generally man-made
and
dealt with by heritage=*.

--
Paul