[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - protection_class=* (Words, not numeric codes)

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 17:23:50 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 1:10 PM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it is indeed complicated.  But it definitely is a national park.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembrokeshire_Coast_National_Park
> and https://www.pembrokeshirecoast.wales/default.asp?PID=161
> It may include things that many wouldn't associate with a national
> park, but it's a national park.  Not just in name but also legally.

Oh wait a minute, it was *you* that had brought up Pembrokeshire
Coast. Sorry! Richard Fairhurst also brought up the Broads as a
complicated example. (He'd been cycling one summer in the Catskill
Park, and approved of the  'boundary=national_park' as "quacks like a
duck" even though the Catskill Park is definitely not a National
Park.)

>> 'If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck but needs batteries,
>> you probably have the wrong abstraction.' - B. Liskov
>
> But we'll tag it as a duck anyway.  Because this is OSM.

And because mapping is a human endeavour, and humans delight in
contriving things that break abstractions.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin