[Tagging] New proposal draft to simplify the mapping of farm buildings (stables)

ET Commands etcommands at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 20:55:12 UTC 2019

> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 08:31:25 -0400
> From: "Nita S." <nitagurrl at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] New proposal draft to simplify the mapping of
> 	farm buildings (stables)
> Around here those are called poll-barns. They are usually constructed with
> utility poles ( or similar ) a roof truss system, and corrugated/galvanized
> metal sheets. They cover farm equipment, feed storage, and sometimes
> animals.
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 9:02 AM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 23:35, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 01:02, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> more happy pigs to be found here (supposedly)
>>>>> https://www.naturalpigfarming.com/low%20res%2060/IMG_1385.jpg
>>>> And that is a pig pen.  But, according to some, also a pig sty.  An
>>>> enclosure rather than a building.
>>> This time, I'd go sty, although pen would also be OK.
>> In common parlance that could be a sty or a pen.  However, I don't think
>> you'd map it as
>> building=sty (or even building=pen) because it's not a building.
>>> The one's I've seen in farmyards have had a rudimentary roof in one
>>> corner, with the rest being dirt or mud!
>> The bit of roof could be building=sty (a bit of a stretch, though).  I'd
>> be tempted to make it
>> building=roof.  Especially as that's how somebody might map it if seen
>> from the road but
>> no pigs were around at the time.
>> --
>> Paul

Don't you mean "pole barns?"


More information about the Tagging mailing list