[Tagging] shop=ice_cream vs amenity=ice_cream and OSM Wiki vs tagging

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Dec 8 11:35:20 UTC 2019

11 Nov 2019, 12:04 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> Am Mo., 11. Nov. 2019 um 11:55 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <> matkoniecz at tutanota.com> >:
>
>> Again, is there some difference
>> in use by general population of mappers?
>>
>> I am not looking for differences in use
>> wanted by specific mappers active here.
>>
>> I am not looking for how
>> "place selling ice cream" may be split into
>> smaller groups.
>>
>> I am not looking
>> for purely theoretical implications
>> of keys shop and amenity.
>>
>> I am not  looking for what would be desirable
>> difference in use.
>>
>> Is there some consistent difference how
>> this two tags are actually used?
>>

> I have not found non-shops tagged as shop=ice_cream, have you? How many of these would we have to provide in order to be sure it aren't exceptional "errors" but standard way of tagging? You can find mistagged objects for any kind of object.

For now giving a specific area where this distinction is maintained by
mappers would be very helpful.

Answering with something as short as "in Germany / London / Małopolska" would be helpful.

And yes, mistaggings happen.

Typically my next step would be to try to find what would be considered as mistagging
and create notes and wait for how people will handle them.

And/or ask other mappers from this region whatever this distinction actually exists.

> FWIW, if we always redefine our tag definitions to the smallest common meaning of the "general population of mappers", then discover that we have tags that now mean the "exact same thing", we will wipe out all the details.

I am sure that attempting to store detail in top level tag is a big mistake.
People tried to do this with landuse=forest vs natural=wood, with different people using them
having a differing opinoin what is the difference and what exactly separates it.

Detailed info really should go into additional tags.