[Tagging] state of a proposal

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Dec 8 21:39:22 UTC 2019

On 08.12.19 18:37, Catonano wrote:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Street_area
>
> What' s the state of this proposal ?

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath for a vote unless the author (or someone
who takes over the reins) reboots it, but this doesn't necessarily mean
the idea is abandoned – not all proposals are adopted through voting,
some are simply adopted by people starting to use it.

In the case of this particular proposal, some people have experimented
with using it for mapping and development (myself included, I described
some very preliminary results during my SotM talk last year). From that
development perspective, I still feel Marek's proposal is the most
promising take on the area:highway idea so far.

Note that, although someone has later written wiki pages for
Key:area:highway¹ and related tags, they describe the wiki editors' own
take on the key, rather than any of the formally proposed versions. As a
result, that content is different from and incompatible with the
proposal you linked to. Which is unfortunate, as it lacks the clear
definitions regarding separation of junction areas from the connecting
road areas etc., which I found helpful when experimenting with software
support for it. I'm concerned that, contrary to the proposal, it may not
be as well suited for use cases that go beyond uniformly "painting" an area.

Tobias

¹ https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:area:highway