[Tagging] Relation for place archipelago with members place island

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 01:10:02 UTC 2019

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 at 00:32, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

 Or you could create a multipolygon relation for the island by adding the
> coastline as outer way

That's something I hadn't thought of.  I just experimented in iD (didn't
save the result, it was
pure invention) and it seems to work.  It certainly makes it a lot easier
to edit in iD, although
perhaps a little confusing if you encounter one of these without knowing
why it was done that
way (and some mappers, it is said, are scared of multipolygons).  Is it
legitimate, though?
The inner is entirely within the outer, so it meets the letter of the law
(but maybe not the spirit).
Can renderers cope with it?

I'm in two minds on this one.  It makes maintenance (in iD and maybe other
editors) easier.
But it's confusing if you don't know why it's been done that way.  And it
feels clunky and
bodgetastic.  But while there's a rule against tagging for the renderer
there isn't (as yet) a
rule against tagging for the editor.

I'll wait until I see what others say before I decide whether or not to use
the trick.  But I commend
you for your ingenuity, whatever they say.

--
Paul